/eggplant baguettes

9.30.2010



Earlier this week, I made decided to make mini-baguettes. From them came a sandwich. It was kind of out of control, so I made it again today (I par-baked the extra breads and froze them so they could be hot, toasty & fresh later). It was just as good, if not better- although I’m out of spinach today.  Boo.

I trust that most everyone knows how to make a mean sandwich, but in case you're fresh out of ideas and would like some eggplant in your life (and I think you would), here’s how I did it:



noooo! it's missing spinach today :(




eggplant baguettes: (four)

2 mini baguettes, cut in half
spinach
English cheddar (or any pungent/sharp cheese you like) I LOVE CHEESE.
1 eggplant

garlic-herb mayo:

about ¼ C mayonnaise
3 cloves garlic, sliced & pan toasted w/ olive oil (I did this before frying the eggplant & spinach in the same pan so the garlicky taste goes into everything!)
2 big pinches dried greek oregano
2 big  pinches dried rosemary
fresh ground pepper
1-2 squirts lemon juice

Slice the eggplant lengthwise into four 1” slices, then half lengthwise. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, then pan fry in olive oil. Brown on each side and remove from pan. Turn down the heat and add a couple tablespoons of water to the pan. Add a few big handfuls of spinach. Cover with a lid four a couple minutes until it’s wilted.
Put everything in the bread! I like to put the mayo on both sides. 


so. good.

1 comment:

  1. this looks really freaking delicious. I made 2 big baguettes yesterday and they are gone.... next: fococcia!!

    ReplyDelete

seymour.
Blog design by Labina @ Plexicod.